How to detect a short circuit at home
Without a doubt, one of the most unexpected events that can happen at home is a short circuit. When such a fault occurs, an immediate solution must be sought not only to repair the damage, but also to avoid major problems that could compromise the power supply and cause more incidents in the home.
To know how to detect a short circuit at home the first thing is to understand why they occur. The electrical wiring system that all homes have allows electricity to reach the appliances we use in everyday life through the power outlets. When connecting devices much voltage into an outlet or an outlet of lower voltage it can cause a short circuit. In the same way, when we connect several equipment in the same outlet an electrical overload can be generated that generates the short circuit.
The first thing to do to detect the short circuit is to go to the part of the house where the main panel is located. Uncover the panel but do not touch anything, as there is a risk of electric shock. Next, you will notice which is the switch that was tripped with the short circuit. The easiest way to find it is because you have the reset button down.
On the panel cover there is a sheet that explains which circuit in the house each switch responds to. Find the circuit that corresponds to the switch that has been lowered. Now go to the part of the house that corresponds to the circuit, turn off, and disconnect all electrical appliances that are there. Go back to the main panel and restart the switch that has the problem. If it does not re-trigger it is because the short circuit comes from one of the devices that was connected to that circuit.
To determine what it is, turn on one to one the lights as well as the electronic devices that are connected to that circuit. If one of them is turned on, the switch is triggered again, because that is the device that has the problem. Turn it off, unplug it, and return to the main panel to reset the switch. If, on the other hand, you have already disconnected all the devices that correspond to the circuit and the switch trips again when you try to restart, it means that the short is not in an electronic device, but in the wiring of the house. In this case, the immediate help of an electrician is required, as this is a more serious problem that must be resolved as soon as possible.
In the event that one of the electrical appliances has caused the short circuit, it does not necessarily mean that the device is damaged, since although it could be a possibility, the problem could also have been caused by a socket or socket in bad conditions. The way to test it is connected the device to the original lamp: if another short circuit is generated, it is necessary to change of lamp holder to prove if the problem disappears. If so, a specialist technician can fix it, as it is probably a loose wire.
If, on the other hand, the device generates a short circuit, independently of the lamp socket it is connected to, it is damaged and requires a check.
Although in most homes the wiring is inside the walls, there are cases in which it is exposed. If so, it is suggested to cut the electricity of the damaged circuit immediately, in order to avoid a fire. On the other hand, if the problem requires the help of an electrician, when contacting him it is necessary to inform him of what has happened in detail, since the way he can give some type of indication to follow as he arrives, and he will be able to work more quickly once you are in place.